Junk Food & Pregnancy

Tags

by Martin Leung

We’ve probably all heard tales of outlandish snack and junk food requests made by pregnant women.  Cravings may vary from woman to woman, but for the snack-loving expectant mother, there may be a new reason to fight junk food binging.

A new study suggests that women who eat snacks high in sugar and fat during their pregnancy might give birth to babies who will crave the same types of junk food.  That cupcake might be calling your sweet tooth now, but would you feed it to your baby?

Eating the right foods and sticking to a healthy diet helps child’s development during the pregnancy says registered dietician Stephanie Clarke, co-owner of C&J Nutrition and WellRounded NYC, a pre- and postnatal nutrition education program in Manhattan.

“It’s OK for pregnant women to includes ‘treats’ in their diets – and to prevent feeling deprived, it’s even important!” says Clarke, “The catch is, these treats (like chips, desserts, chocolate, ice cream …etc.) shouldn’t replace other healthful foods in the diet.”

In addition to not using snacks as a meal replacement, Clarke said a pregnant woman’s overall calorie intake is only 300 to 450 more than a non-pregnant woman’s daily needs.  Eating for two or more is no excuse to pack on unnecessary calories.

One easy way to indulge, guilt free, is to find healthier alternatives to your favorite snacks.

Megan Tubman, another registered dietician, the owner of Fresh Start Nutrition Studio, a Manhattan based pregnancy counseling service, recommends reading the ingredients list.

“Stay away from foods that have really long ingredient lists and ingredient lists you can’t even pronounce,” says Tubman. Here are some of her craftier ticks:

Eat healthy foods first, says Tubman. You’ll be full, and you can have a snack at the end as a reward.  Use smaller plates so you think you’re getting more.  Finally, don’t eat snacks when you are distracted. Eating ice cream from the pint while watching your favorite show won’t seem so sweet once you realize you ate more than you wanted to.

If all this talk may be stirring the cravings, now may be a good time to try out this “healthy alternative” thing:

Craving something sweet?

• Have a cup of hot cocoa with skim milk or calcium fortified milk.  A cup made with 8 to 10 ounces of warm milk can count for a third of the recommended daily 1,300 milligrams of calcium.

-or-

• Try some light ice cream.  It’s lower in calories and fat.  Plus light ice creams contain calcium, which helps the developing baby build strong bones; develop a healthy heart, nerves and muscles; and have a regular heart rhythm.

Looking for something savory, with a crunch?

• Air-popped popcorn is a great way low-sodium snack that adds whole grains to your diet.  Whole grains are loaded with nutrients that supply energy for the developing baby and help build the placenta.

-or-

• Try freeze-dried fruits.  They’re loaded with nutrients and they have less sugar.  Which means you can eat more of them and not have to worry about the calories.

23 Responses to “Junk Food & Pregnancy”

1. A woman’s diet does factor into the process of getting pregnant. There are many foods that are essential for their diets. Folic acid, for example, is one of the necessary components for women in this category. It is important to consume at least 0.4 mg of folic acid daily. When you consider the process of getting pregnant a balanced diet is essential. This includes foods rich in starch and fiber. Women should also increase their intake of vitamin C and vitamin A. Some women use supplements for this intake. Good dietary choices, however, are better options for consuming these nutritional components.

2. Shalon Fiora says:

This really is a splendid article. Thanks a ton for bothering to detail all of this out for folks. It truly is a great help!

3. lili says:

I find the article interesting as well as informative, thanks for sharing it.

4. Hi

Thanks so much for posting this article, i found it very helpful
    and send my friends here to read it also.

James

5. sepatukulit says:

Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was looking for! “To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.” by Bertrand Russell.

6. MegaDomus says:

Like most people helping to build the web, my MegaDomus, natyznie potolki friend also consumes the web MegaDomus, natyznie potolki on a daily basis; reading, uploading photos, shopping or checking his bank balance, he is exposed to pre-made MegaDomus, natyznie potolki solutions to many of the design challenges that he faces. When he spots an interesting treatment of, for example, tabbed navigation, he quickly MegaDomus, natyznie potolki stashes away the URL until such time that he is in need of inspiration to create tabbed navigation. The same is true for MegaDomus, natyznie potolki other elements of design, from web form detailing to layouts of entire web pages. All of MegaDomus, natyznie potolki his inspiration sits neatly, digitally scrapbooked, waiting for the day that it will be MegaDomus, natyznie potolki recycled into his designs.

7. Refrain from Complaining And Begin your personal babyliss Email campaign As a substitute .
    monster beats warranty http://www.hekmarket.com/beats-by-dre-pro-c-10.html

8. Daryl Pliner says:

Kom op! Je kunt beter doen, ik ben er zeker van. Ik heb je andere berichten lezen en ze beter waren.

9. Mijn naam is Ben, en ik ben momenteel woonachtig in de St. Louis, MO gebied doet het werk als een Network Controller.

10. I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You’re incredible! Thanks!

11. I respect your work.

12. Wow! This can be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Fantastic. I’m also a specialist in this topic so I can understand your effort.

13. To all those who have nothing to contribute but shout at the post, i have a quote for you from Denis Thatcher: “Better keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.”

14. Have you ever considered writing an e-book or gust writing on other sites? I have a blog based upon on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers would value your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.

15. Brigitte says:

Finally i quit my day job, now i earn decent money on-line you should
    try too, just search in google – bluehand roulette system

16. Thank you for another magnificent post. Where else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

17. Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your blog. You have some really good posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Many thanks!

18. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I’ve really loved browsing your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing on your feed and I’m hoping you write again very soon!

19. I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this web site. I’m hoping the same high-grade web site post from you in the upcoming also. Actually your creative writing skills has inspired me to get my own site now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a great example of it.

20. Ich will nicht über dich zu urteilen, aber ich denke, dass Sie ein wenig mehr Forschung zu diesem Thema tun müssen

21. Wow, marvelous blog structure! How lengthy have you been blogging for?
    you made running a blog glance easy. The full glance of your website is great,
    let alone the content material!

22. When I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments
    are added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment is added I
    receive 4 emails with the same comment. Perhaps there is a
    way you can remove me from that service? Thank you!